Today I started to tackle the wheel wells. Since I want to keep the little curve, where the body line rolls into the back of the cab, I cut those pieces from the cab.
The small portion to the bottom is the little curve I mentioned above. Roughly cutting the two pieces to fit I then clamp them into place.
No backing material was used to weld this up. As you can see, things got a bit ugly.
I repeat on the driver side pieces.
After welding the driver side, I realize the angle was way off. I replace the part cut off from the wheel well edge.
Grinding off the welds I smooth the edges.
Next I cut a extra piece of 18 gauge steel to reinforce the curve. Unfortunately I didn’t snap a photo until I was finished. You can see the slight bulge where the reinforcing strip was welded on though.
Wanting a better picture of the body line curves, I went outside into the sunlight. With better lighting they don’t look half bad.
Next I dry fit the passenger side onto the body panel. I have to push the panel inward to align with the door.
I make my trimming marks
Then I trim and clean up the sharp edges.
Going in the same fashion I use a strip of 16 gauge steel behind the seams. Tack welded wheel well curve into place.
After tack welding, I tie a piece of string to hold the panel in place.
I finish up welding the passenger side and repeat on the driver side.