Finally, getting into other parts besides sheet metal. I start preparing for the camper. Since I have completely altered structure points on the bed, I decided to add some additional reinforcement. I cut 1 1/2 inch square tubing to fit underneath the bed rails.
I notched them to fit around some of the inner fender wells.
Then I cap off the notch.
Going a bit overkill here, I drill six holes on each side for bolts.
Crush sleeves are welded into the support to avoid bending when bolts are tightened.
After welding is finished, they get ground smooth.
I align them back in the bed rails and drill holes accordingly.
Then I give the supports a cleaning.
Along the front of the bed another 1 1/2 inch square tube will connect either side. The bed rail supports and the front support are given a bevel to accommodate bolting together. Lock nuts are welded inside since no wrench will be able to reach them.
After bolted into place I measure and cut additional supports that will tie the front support into the truck frame.
Here I start the outer welds on the supports.
Then I pull it out and fully weld everything up.
I give everything a quick paint job and reinstall.