For body material I picked up two doors from the junk yard. It was half price day, so I scored two doors for $75 bucks! I measured the gap, added 2 inches for a buffer then cut chunks out of the doors
Dry fitting the new body material. Once lined up, I marked where the cuts needed to be exactly.
I trimmed of the extra material on one side and ground the edges of the other.
I used the excess trimmed off for backing on the edges of each seam. Same routine as the bed shortening.
Then tack weld into place.
And grind so new panel will fit flush.
New side panel clamped into place.
To avoid any warping I slowly weld small spots a few inches apart. After cooling a bit I run a few more spot welds. I repeat this quite a few times before the panel is fully welded. Then I repeat everything on the driver side.
Missed this photo. Its before the side panels were fitted. I aligned everything onto the new body mounts and welded the floor to the remaining cab parts.
Angle shot of the passenger side. That’s as strait as I can make it.
Killing time while waiting for the metal to cool. Maybe just a bit to much time…