Right, back to work…. After measuring the portions removed to add onto the cab I realize, the wheel well will be 3 inches off. I’ll have to scrounge some body parts from a junk yard to complete the cab.
I needed material for welding the backside to the bed, so I used the pieces intended for the cab. I cut two 1 inch strips.
The strips are placed and tack welded inside of the bedsides. This will keep the two exterior pieces closely aligned, resulting in less body filler. Got this tip from my friend.
Strip tacked in place. When I cut the bedsides I didn’t cut them completely strait. Around the wheel well there is a small ridge that I wanted to keep. You may see the slight curve near the bottom of the bedside.
After the small strips are tacked in place I start aligning the backside piece.
The seems are welded up completely.
Then ground to a semi-smooth finish.
I refit the bed onto the chassis to start aligning new bolt holes. There will need to be a new brace build along the front as well.
The entire bed has been done by myself and its my first time doing any bodywork… Now I’m feeling confident enough to attempt the cab…. We’ll see what happens…