Usually on electrical portions of my projects I go a bit overboard. I’ll be doing the same on this occasion. First I start with upgrading the stock battery terminals to military grade ones I got from Wil (Sierra Expeditions).
Then some heavy duty commercial grade terminal connectors are crimped on.
Special heat shrink tubing is added to help stop corrosion.
Onto the brains of the system, for this I’m using a National Luna power pack. For those that are not familiar with this unit I’ll give you a quick synopsis. The National Luna power pack is smart battery management system that automatically charges your second (camper) battery after your main (starting) battery is charged.
The wire that comes with the kit is a large gauge and has plenty of insulation.
Now here’s were I go overboard… And please, if you try to copy me, do it at your own risk! I open the panel on the power pack and connect two leads off the main battery terminals for my own power distribution box.
I drill appropriate holes and bolt on a plastic terminal box, but not before pulling the 8 gauge leads into the box.
After reassembling the power pack I begin mounting it inside the cab of the truck. For this I use jack nuts. (Update: don’t use jack nuts. The are good for one time use then are a pain in the ass)
Power pack mounted behind the driver seat.
On to the control wires, which is a multi conductor cable with 10 wires from the MX1’s wiring.
I connect eight of the leads onto three switches. Since I’m reusing old parts I test the resistance with a meter.
After everything checks out ok I wrap the exposed ends in electrical tape.
The wires have numbers printed on the insulation. I write down on paper what wire number connects what switch.
I then reinstall the switches in the dash panel.
Then I run the multi conductor underneath the carpeting to where my power distribution box is.
Next I strip back the outer casing then clip in the Anderson plug to the power pack.
Worried about chafing the power leads I run them through two separate rubber grommets.
Underneath the cab I continue running the wires forward to the battery.
At the battery I cut off the excess and crimp on terminals.
I use special shrink tubing again that has a inner sealant that melts and covers the outer edges of the shrink tubing.
A section of the wire is cut to insert a fuse box.
Back at the power box I crimp connectors onto the control wires then attach them to the terminal block. (Fuses to be added)
Next post I start working on the lighting.