HBDA-T2: Camper Body Construction

Posted on Posted in HBDA-T2: 2010 Off-Road Trailer

Now its onto the long process of building the body out of aluminum. The entire trailer was build by me in a CAD program. So from that I disassembled the parts of the trailer (tubing) and made cut lists. A friend of mine came to help start making all the cuts. Jim, the customer, arrived after the first couple weeks of building at took over cutting the material.

All the base tubing is clamped into the chassis.

Image

The outside edges (corners) are welded together with my aluminum wire feed attachment to my welder.

Image

Once welded all of the anchor holes are drilled. The top holes are larger to allow the bolt head and socket to clear.

Image

Image

I made a quick jig on my steel table and made the wheel wells. Then welded them on.

Image

The body frame was secured to the chassis with self tapping bolts. Up rights for the lower walls are also cut and ready for welding on.(on tongue)

Image

Next I start working on the rear kick up. Notches are made to create the correct bend. This was also designed in CAD. Makes production go much faster.

Image

This is how the kick ups are to be placed.

Image

Lower section of the wall welded and kick ups welded in place.

Image

Image

Lower wall mostly complete.

Image

Extra bracing is placed in the corners.

Image

A temporary cross bar was placed between the tops of the lower wall. This helped from warping while welding. Aluminum warps a ton when heat is applied.

Image

So far looking good.

Image

Middle wall started.

Image

The middle wall on the back was tricky to keep square. I used a piece of steel tubing to help. This steel tube was also used on the lower walls.

Image

Top bars on the middle wall set in place.

Image

Upper perimeter completed. The customer Jim standing inside. He’s over 6 foot tall by the way. Jim also put in a plywood floor. The original plan was to use a composite material for the floor, though in a time crunch we opted for plywood instead. The underside of the plywood was coated with bed liner material.

Image

A crap ton of clamps were used to fasten the aluminum to the steel tubing, so everything stayed plum and square.

Image

Next I work on the rear windows.

Image

Another angle of the windows.

Image