Backing up a bit here. The original bumper plastics were faded, scraped and overall in bad condition. I decided to remove the lower portions. The side sections were part of the bumper ‘style’ so I had to keep the upper parts.

I cut them right along the crease with a handy saw.

Both sides were cut then I sanded the edges and reinstalled.

After the bumper trim I added some old Hella 500 driving lights that use to be on the MX1’s roof rack.

They don’t look too out of place. Though I do need to replace the stock light fixture on the passenger side. It was damaged when I bought the Disco, not to mention the bumper is damaged on that side as well.

To keep along the simple route I decided to go with an interior sleeping platform. I played around with the idea of carrying a fridge, but after stretching across some boxes in the rear to the back seat I see its just too much gear. Having the fridge and extra storage space would mean I would have less head room and make it too easy to load the vehicle down.

Reusing some more old gear from the Ranger, I scavenge the old rear storage box I built. This use to be behind the seats in the Ranger. Its made from MDF (medium density fiberboard) and some fancy hinges I had from some other projects.

When closed each door leaves no gap because of the hinge action. This just happen to work out great as a part of a sleeping platform and storage box.

Going a step further with the box I paint it with a sealing black paint then cover the top and front with carpeting. For looks and to add a bit of fluff. The box only weighs 63 lbs.

The basic gear was tossed in the box. And around the box I placed; one 5 gal NATO fuel can, one 5 gal scepter water can, Maxtrax and my Pico chair.

One cubby I put food and cooking gear.

The middle cubby got the tools and recovery gear.

And the skinny section has fluids, window cleaner, air compressor and air chuck.

None of this was secured to the floor. It all fits snugly, and so far I haven’t had any problems with shifting.

Recommended Articles